I've had quite a few jobs and internships in my day, and I like to think that I've learned a few things. Learning the ropes in a new position can be tough, so here are some tips I have figured out along the way!
They might not be your direct supervisor, but they may eventually have a say in whether you get hired full-time at a company or not. If they've never worked with your or spent much time with you, they may not have anything, good or bad, to say about you! If you're looking for a way to meet with someone, ask them to set aside some time for an informational interview about their experiences working in your field. People love talking about themselves!
DON'T take things too personally.
I've been turned down for job opportunities that I felt I deserved, and I'm not going to lie, it sucks. But at the same time, it helps to know that there will still be people who appreciate everything you do at a company! A coworker pulled me aside after it happened to me and explained that she truly felt I had what it took, but unfortunately it just wasn't going to work out. Sometimes, you just aren't going to be a great fit for a position. That just means you have a chance to find a company that you will fit into better.
DO take one for the team, when necessary.
Once at an internship, I was blamed for something that I didn't feel was my fault. In the process of feeling a little bit hurt, I learned that although it wasn't my fault, it was necessary for me to just accept the facts of what had happened and move on. If you do something incorrectly on a project, it matters less whose fault it is, and more how you react to that failure. A positive attitude goes a long way, and if you can fix the problem, you may end up impressing your supervisors even more.
DON'T spend all of your time by yourself.
Networking is a HUGE part of internships and jobs! If you sit at your desk and do all of your assignments on time, that's great. But if you take the time to build relationships with your coworkers and learn from everyone that you can, you will get much more out of your experience.
DO tell your supervisor if you are feeling overwhelmed.
No one likes getting stressed out about work. If you say yes to everything, you will eventually implode! Offices are busy, so interns and entry-level employees often end up getting projects from a lot of different people. Sometimes it's necessary to say no and explain that you need to pump the breaks on juggling a million projects until you can catch up. Trust me, it's beneficial for you as well as your coworkers if you are honest!
DON'T forget why you're there.
If you are in an internship or entry-level job, you are there to learn. You should learn as much as you can, from as many people as you can. Whether you're there for a month or a semester, or even longer, you should continue to practice your skills as well as learning new ones. There is so much to learn from people who have been working in your industry for many years, and they know things that you might not figure out yourself for years! Get solid work samples and have something to show for your success when you leave.
Do you have any additional tips for people entering the workforce?
xo
Amanda

No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave me a comment!